The Fire Department's origin began with the initial purchase of a hand pumper in 1825 provided by donations and town funds to protect the center of town. At that time, the fire station was located behind the Baptist Church where Church Street is today.
In 1835 the town started compensation for the firefighters via abatement of the Poll Tax. A second pumper was purchased in 1839 to better protect the town. Our first drafting hand-operated Hunneman Pumper, was purchased in 1849 and was nicknamed the "Always Ready," and the second drafting Hunneman Pumper was purchased in 1855. The latter machine was not originally named but is currently called the "Whitmanville."
Later in the 1800's a private company operated in the center with a Button Class A pumper called the "General Miles." The first motorized vehicle was purchased in 1918 and was a Ford Model T fire truck that had a small tank and pump. Other apparatus have been purchased by the town including today's newest 1999-model pumper.
The Westminster Fire Department celebrated its 175th birthday in the year 2000. The department's motto "Always Ready" is over 150 years old.