Dealing with Beaver Issues

Suggested Steps for Addressing Beaver and Muskrat Problems

  • Contact Westminster Board of Health and discuss perceived problem.
  • Attend a site visit with the Westminster Board of Health Agent to determine if an emergency threat to health and safety exists (See attached list). If our department makes a negative determination, you may appeal to the Director of Fisheries and Wildlife (DF&W) or the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH).
  • Begin discussion with neighbors and/or abutters if involved. You will need consent forms (provided by the Westminster Board of Health) from all property owners and abutters affected. You can obtain ownership information from the Assessors’ Office at the Town Hall.
  • Fill out Application for Beaver and Muskrat Conflict Resolution Permit Application from the Westminster Board of Health. Fee $60.00
  • Contract with a current Massachusetts State Licensed Trapper to perform animal removal. We need to know the name of the trapper and their state license number.

  • Contract with a reputable company who specializes in the installation of water leveling control devices and work with them to devise a longterm solution. If an existing beaver problem is trapped out, others will move in to prime habitat areas after one or two breeding seasons. Properly monitored and maintained water-level control devices are the preferred long-term solution. Breaching of dams and/or installation of water-level control devices must be approved by the Westminster Conservation Commission. The professional you hire to perform such work should also be familiar with the emergency permitting process.